Beginning in 2002, The Big Event at Virginia Tech is a student-run community service effort that has grown into the second largest event of its kind in the nation. Every spring, thousands of students, faculty, and staff come together to complete hundreds of community service projects throughout Blacksburg, Christiansburg, and the New River Valley.
Projects are completed regardless of need or socioeconomic status. It is The Big Event’s goal to simply say, “Thank you.” Seeded in our university’s motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), students and community members come together for a truly unparalleled experience.
- In 2023, The Big Event was held on April 1. Led by co-directors Natalie Kasmarek and Jacob French, we completed 849 projects with 5,225 volunteers.
- In 2022, The Big Event was held on April 9. Led by co-directors Emily Smith and Nicky Hatch, we completed 919 projects with 6,264 volunteers.
- In 2021, The Big Event was planned to be held on April 3. Led by co-directors Julia Farrell and Trilby Brown, we were unable to hold The Big Event due to Covid-19.
- In 2020, The Big Event was planned to be held on April 4. Led by co-directors Julia Farrell and Sam Johnson, we had 2,757 volunteers signed up when we had to stop our planning due to Covid-19. We were unable to complete any projects.
- In 2019, The Big Event was held on April 6. Led by co-directors Kelly McConnell and Katie Rappold and assistant director Steven Black, we completed 1,180 projects with 7,820 volunteers.
- In 2018, The Big Event was held on April 7. Led by co-directors Monica Ricci and Eric Rothenberger and assistant director Kelly McConnell, we completed 1,125 projects with 8,140 volunteers.
- In 2017, The Big Event was held on April 8. Led by co-directors Abbey Brainard and John Tedesco and assistant director Monica Ricci, we completed 1,174 projects with 8,223 volunteers.
- In 2016, The Big Event was held on April 9. Led by co-directors Steven Vanderloo and Rahul Kulkarni and assistant director Ellie Helton, we completed 1,102 projects with 9,200 volunteers.
- In 2015, The Big Event was held on April 11. Led by co-directors Tory Cottle and Austin Moon and assistant director Steven Vanderloo, we completed 1,043 projects with 8,050 volunteers.
- In 2014, The Big Event was held on April 5. Led by co-directors Tony Ardura and Keith Bardsley and assistant director Meggie Summers, we completed 878 projects with 7,806 volunteers.
- In 2013, The Big Event was held on April 6. Led by director Doug Brainard and assistant co-directors Tony Ardura and Jamie Lien, we completed 840 projects with 6,855 volunteers.
- In 2012, The Big Event was held on March 31. Led by co-directors Neil Allerton and Anuj Bagai and assistant director Doug Brainard, we completed 990 projects with 6,852 volunteers.
- In 2011, The Big Event was held on April 9. Led by co-directors Nathan Lavinka and Gavin McDuff and assistant director Allen Bowman, we completed 950 projects with 6,731 volunteers.
- In 2010, The Big Event was held on April 17. Led by director Dan Knisley and assistant director Nathan Lavinka, we completed 908 projects with 6,145 volunteers.
- In 2009, The Big Event was held on April 18. Led by director Michael Jabs and assistant director Dan Knisley, we completed 745 projects with 5,745 volunteers.
- In 2008, The Big Event was held on April 5. Led by director Sussanah Siner and assistant director Megan Lyons, we completed 453 projects with 3,565 volunteers.
- In 2007, The Big Event was held on March 31. Led by director Brian Torgerson and assistant director Julie Chop, we completed 356 projects with 3,529 volunteers.
- In 2006, The Big Event was held on April 1. Led by director Chris Sweeney and assistant director Brian Torgerson, we completed 250 projects with 2,100 volunteers.
- In 2005, The Big Event was held on April 9. Led by director Melinda Schlenk and assistant director Adam Street, we completed 200 projects with 1,650 volunteers.
- In 2004, The Big Event was held on March 27. Led by director Andy Landers and assistant director Summeet Bagai, we completed 179 projects with 1,450 volunteers.
- In 2003, The Big Event was held on March 29. Led by director Christina Coukos and assistant director Shannon Bourchies, we completed 130 projects with 900 volunteers.
- The first Big Event at Virginia Tech was held on April 6, 2002. Led by director Christina Coukos, we completed 60 projects with 475 volunteers.