The Big Event will be held on Saturday, April 6, 2024.
The Big Event has become a tradition of selfless service at Virginia Tech as thousands of students come together for one day to say, “Thank you,” to Virginia Tech’s surrounding communities.
The Big Event allows students to give back to the community and show appreciation to ALL non-student residents and organizations of Blacksburg, Christiansburg, and the New River Valley by completing service projects FREE of charge. Projects are completed regardless of need or socioeconomic status.
Sign up your home, church, community center, or local park to receive a team of hardworking Hokies on April 6 that will help complete your project. Examples of previously approved projects include general yard work, painting, mulching, washing windows, and cleaning. Projects should last no longer than 4 hours and must not involve power tools or ladders over one (1) story. If needed, some tools can be provided by The Big Event.
Homeowner registration for 2024 is not open at this time.
What is The Big Event?
- The Big Event at Virginia Tech is a student-run community service effort that has grown into the 2nd largest event of its kind in the nation over the past 21 years. Every spring, thousands of students come together to complete hundreds of community service projects throughout Blacksburg, Christiansburg and the New River Valley.
- Projects are completed regardless of need or socioeconomic status. The Big Event’s goal is to simply say, “Thank you.” Seeded in our university’s motto of Ut Prosim (That I may serve), students and community members come together for a truly unparalleled experience.
What is a project check?
- A project check involves committee members visiting the project site to confirm the job requested is feasible and safe for students to complete within four hours. It allows us to confirm all the details of the job requested, answer any questions the resident may have, and continue to build a connection with the community. Project checks will be required for all resident participants of The Big Event at Virginia Tech.
If I request a project, is there a guarantee that it will be completed?
- While we aim to complete 100% of the projects that are requested, we cannot guarantee that your project will be completed due to the overwhelming number of requests we receive each year. It is our goal to complete as many projects as possible. However, with a limited number of student volunteers, it is possible there will not be enough volunteers for each project. Students may leave or refuse to complete any part of a project upon their discretion.
When will my job site be checked?
- You will be contacted by a member of The Big Event team via phone or email to set up a convenient time to meet with you at your project site either during the week or over the weekend. This year project registration and project checks will start in the fall.
Do I need to be home during the project check?
- Yes! If you cannot be there, you may have a close friend, relative, or neighbor show our staff around the job site, answer any questions about the job, and receive any information about your job. It is highly encouraged that you are home.
What time should I expect the students to show up on the day of The Big Event?
- Students will arrive between 11AM and 12PM. It will vary depending on how far your job site is from campus and if the volunteers need to get tools for the job.
Do I need to be home while the volunteers are working?
- Yes! The resident must be home when the volunteers arrive and for the full duration that the job is being completed. If you are not home the project will not be completed.
Should I provide the volunteers with food or drink while they are at my residence?
- You are more than welcome to provide the volunteers with refreshments or snacks, but you are not required or expected too. Volunteers are encouraged to bring water and snacks.
How long will the volunteers be at my residence?
- The volunteers can be there for a maximum of 4 hours. They may leave before your project is completed.
What kind of tools can the volunteers use?
- The volunteers will bring the tools you request from us during your project check. They may also use tools that you provide. However, under no circumstances can volunteers use power tools or ladders over one (1) story. This includes, but is not limited to, lawn mowers, weed whackers, drills, leaf blowers, and vacuums.
What tools can you provide?
- Hard rake
- Leaf rake
- Hand cultivator
- Hand saw
- Hand spade
- Hedge shears
- Tree trimmer
We cannot provide any tools that are not listed here. All tools must be requested during project checks. We do not provide wheelbarrows, paint, paint packs, or window/cleaning packs.
When is the last time I can cancel my project?
- If you need to cancel your project for any reason, we ask that you contact email@example.com a week in advance if possible.
When does project request open?
- Resident information for 2024 is coming soon.
When does project request close?
- Resident information for 2024 is coming soon.
Is there a rain date?
- Unfortunately, if there is bad weather at the discretion of The Big Event and the University, the event will be cancelled and not be made up.
How do I confirm that my project will be completed?
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about your project. Most inquiries will be handled within 24 hours. Please be patient, we are all students.
Who should I contact if I have general questions leading up until The Big Event?
- Please contact email@example.com with general questions about The Big Event. Most inquiries will be handled within 24 hours. Please be patient, we are all students.